- "A girl trying to do her best to keep her balance and concentration, in a world that had gone insane. A girl still reeling from what she'd learned about her own family, and now tottering from the need to confirm a dreadful suspicion."
Meredith Teresa Consolacion Maria Sulez (b. 6 June, 1974) was the human daughter of Fernando and Gabriella Sulez (née Rodriguez) and twin sister of Cristian. She and her brother were changed into half-vampires by Klaus at the age of three, and she was raised as a vampire-hunter.
In 1991, Meredith helped fight against Katarina von Swartzschild and Klaus. Following Klaus's defeat, her grandfather told her about the location of the Sulez fighting stave, which she wielded during her fight against Shinichi, Misao and Inari.
The family lived in a large house, which included security guards positioned at the gates, with their housekeeper, Janet, and they enjoyed a privileged lifestyle in an unknown town before moving to Fell's Church, Virginia.
Klaus's attack and aftermathEdit
On Meredith and Cristian's third birthday, Klaus broke into the house after killing the security guards with one blow each. He proceeded to kill the twins' grandmother and attack their grandfather before feeding on one or both of the twins. Fernando and Gabriella then arrived, and watched Meredith drinking Cristian's blood before Klaus tried to kidnap the two of them, but Meredith bit his hand down to the bone with her new vampiric canines. Klaus decided to leave her and take her brother, telling Fernando and Gabriella that she should be fed a tablespoon of blood a week.
- "My parents started celebrating it a week early because June 6 was too upsetting for them. It was the day my grandfather was attacked and went crazy."
As a result of the attack, Gabriella's father was sent to a mental hospital in West Virginia after becoming violent. Cristian's kidnapping, Meredith becoming half-vampire and Gabriella's parents dead and institutionalized respectively caused Fernando and Gabriella to begin celebrating Meredith's birthday a week earlier, on May 30, instead. Heeding Klaus's advice, Gabriella also began feeding Meredith blood sausage once a week.
The Sulez family moved to Fell's Church, Virginia after Klaus's attack on their family. Gabriella and Fernando then raise Meredith in the small town where they would go on to meet the Gilberts, McCulloughs, Forbes and Honeycutts. Meredith, Elena, Bonnie and Caroline became best friends in kindergarten and stayed that way up until senior year of high school.
Early teenage yearsEdit
- "She had missed Meredith more than anyone, Elena thought, looking at the tall girl. Meredith never wore any make-up; but then, with perfect olive skin and heavy black lashes, she didn't need any. Right now, she had one elegant brow raised as she studied Elena."
Personality and traitsEditCalm and collected, Meredith is the most sensible and grounded within the trio of girls and often comes across as the voice of reason. Meredith has a very wry personality, often making keen observations or comments in a dry tone. She is a very stoic person with very little ever phasing her. Meredith is a very detailed oriented and organized person.
- "Meredith was, Damon thought, a very scary person."
- "I tried to probe her mind, but my Powers are just about burnt out. And she's strong-willed."
- —Stefan Salvatore[src]
Behind the scenesEdit
- In the television series, the character Meredith Fell appears.
- Meredith's revelation as a half-vampire was initially meant to be a plotline in The Hunters trilogy. However, the ghostwriter continuing the books made this intended storyline impossible by mentioning that Meredith's vampirism was cured in The Hunters: Phantom.
- The Awakening (First appearance)
- The Struggle
- The Fury
- Dark Reunion
- The Return: Nightfall
- The Return: Shadow Souls
- The Return: Midnight
- The Hunters: Phantom
- The Hunters: Moonsong
- The Hunters: Destiny Rising
- The Vampire Diaries (video game) (Mentioned only)